Bullying comes in many flavors. It can be angry gangs on the playground. It can be a punch in the shoulder or repeated namecalling in the school hallways as students move between classes. It can be "cool" girls making fun of others to add to their feeling of superiority. It can be "macho" boys intimidating their gay classmates. It can be a class of students standing around a special needs student calling him "Stupid." It might be kids (or parents) waging anonymous online wars against a classmate who "rubs them the wrong way."
Fortunately, the anti-bullying movement is actively engaged in a fight against this aggressive behavior in our schools and in the general public (online or not). The U.S. government has taken a stance against bullying and supported with the StopBullying.gov website and grants for fighting this problem. The most important thing is to be informed of what can be done.
Here are some resources that I have found you might find valuable in building your program:
- Teasley Elementary Schools Anti-Bullying Song (Video)
- Respect Rap Only
- Bullying - We'll Stop It (Long Branch Middle School)
- Stop Bullying (Warning: this is truthful and scary)
- Stop Bullying Now - Narrative story of a bullying experience.
- Anti-Bullying -Kill the Silence - Students taking a stand against bullying.
- R.I.P. Eira Maghuyop - A memorial video that include Facebook statuses in her memory.
- 21st Century Skills Bullying Prevention Film Competition
Stop the Bullying Programs
Stop Bullying Websites
- Prevention at School (part of the StopBullying.gov website)
- What Kind of School Programs should I Advocate to Stop Bullying?
- New Ways to Stop Bullying - Research based bullying prevention programs suggested by psychologists.
- The No Bully System - Unique program created by teachers, psychologists and lawyers.
- Peaceful Solution Character Education - Simple Solutions to Stop Bullying
|Bullying (Photo credits: www.mysecuritysign.com)|
Stop Bullying Websites
- StopBullying.gov - supported by the US government.
- Pacer Center Teens Against Bullying
- Pacer Center Kids Agains Bullying
- International Stop Bullying World
- How to Stop Bullying Website
- Community Matters
- That's Not Cool
- Bullying - Bullying prevention article by the American Psychological Association
- Bullying: How to Talk with Educators at Your Child's School
- Warning Signs that a Child is Being Bullied
- Bullying Among Children and Youth with Disabilities and Special Needs
- When Bullying Goes High Tech - CNN Report